Pages

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tuesday's Top Picks

So I'm working to bring you all a more consistent blog post routine. So on Tuesdays you can expect to see, "Tuesday's Top Picks." I will share four or five of my favorite quotes, home decor and/or fashion inspirations, wishlist items, etc. Most of these will come from my Pinterest finds, of course. I hope you all enjoy!

{1} Count Your Blessings
Pinterest
During the Thanksgiving holiday, I think we are all more conscientious of our blessings. This cute printable is a nice reminder to not only count my blessing during the holiday season, but I need to count each of my blessings, everyday, one by one.

{2} Thanksgiving Outfit
Pinterest
Big R, Little R, and I will be spending Thanksgiving Day in Virginia with my family. I'm thinking I will recreate this look. I already have similar pieces in my wardrobe, but I wouldn't mind getting a new sweater though! Hehe! ; ) However, the sweater pictured, and the sweater I already have in my closet, will do a great job of hiding my post-Thanksgiving meal food baby!

{3} Sweet Potato Casserole 
Pinterest
Late last week, we had our office Thanksgiving potluck. One of my co-workers convinced me to bring yams as my dish. I have to admit I was kind of reluctant. I'm usually the person that brings chips and salsa or a store bought cake to our offices parties, but I went with it. I feel like I'm a fairly decent cook, so I don't know why I was nervous. Another co-workers shared the Ruth's Chris Sweet Potato Casserole recipe with me. I used that as my base, and I added a little extra here and there to taste. The recipe is listed below, if you're interested: 

Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep: 10mn
Total: 55mn
Cook: 45mn
SWEET POTATO MIXTURE INGREDIENTS
•    2 and 1/2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes (Cooking options listed above- either bake, microwave, or cook the potatoes on the stove)
•    2/3 cup granulated sugar
•    1/4 teaspoon salt
•    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
•    1 egg, beaten
•    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
CRUST INGREDIENTS
•    2/3 cup brown sugar
•    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•    1/2 finely chopped pecans
•    3 tablespoons butter, melted
•    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
1.    Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and prep a medium to small sized casserole dish with cooking spray. I used a 9×9 inch casserole dish.
2.    Use a mixer to whip together cooked, mashed sweet potatoes (instructions to cook, bake, or microwave sweet potatoes above), 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 egg – beaten, 3 tablespoons unsalted melted butter. Mix until the potatoes are light and fluffy.
3.    Pour the potato mixture into the prepared casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.
4.    Meanwhile, combine the crust ingredients in a small bowl – 2/3 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, 3 tablespoons melted butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
5.    Sprinkle the crust over the casserole after it has baked for 30 minutes. Bake for 10-15 minutes longer, until the pecan crust is lightly browned and crunchy.

This is what my casserole dish looked like when I picked it up: 

I think your girl did ok! Haha! Anyhoo, after sending my mom a picture of my empty casserole dish, she asked me to make it again for our family dinner. I plan to make it this time with not only the pecan crust, but with a few marshmallows in the center as well. Big R willing be smoking three turkey breasts for the dinner, so the least I can do is a sweet potato casserole, ya know?!

{4} Protective Styling
Pinterest
Cool weather can very easily mean dry, natural hair. So with that, I'm on a mission to protect my strands. I will be rocking a number of protective styles to keep my ends protected and healthy. I will definitely attempt this lovely bun with a scarf as an accessory like the lovely Meechy Monroe. If you are a natural and you don't know who Meechy Monroe is...let me put you on! She and her sister Vaughn are a dynamic, Youtube natural hair guru duo. You can find them on Youtube here and here. What protective styles do y'all plan to wear over the next few months?

{5} Christmas Sweatshirt
Ok so...not to jump ahead of myself or anything, but I HAVE to have this sweatshirt to wear for the Christmas holiday.
Pinterest
I know y'all get the reference, right?! No? Check out this short video clip:

Can we please pause for the cause, and talk about how Home Alone 2 was one of my all time favorite movies as a kid!! LoL. I had a Home Alone board game and everything! I will be placing an order for my sweatshirt ASAP. Thank you Pinterest, thank you!

And that's all folks! I hope y'all enjoyed my top picks for this lovely Tuesday! {Today is my Friday! Holla!}

Until next time...<3